As more and more women become ‘Wiggies’ — that is a woman who wears a wig, I think it’s time someone set some ground rules for wig wearing.
Over the last couple years, wearing a wig has become more of a fashion statement and less of a hair fix. Thanks to entertainers like Beyonce, Trina, Tyra Banks, and Wendy Williams, women of all colors are confidently buying and sporting wigs.
It’s no longer a thing a woman has to hide from men nor something other women snicker at and talk about.
As a woman who wore wigs well before Beyonce and Tyra made it popular, I’d like to share some of my thoughts on wigs and wig wearers for entertainment purposes:
1. WIND IS NOT YOUR FRIEND! I don’t know how many times I’ve witnessed a woman’s wig flying off her head becasue it was not properly secured. It is always in your best interest to snap, glue or, sew your wig onto your head. The wind can pick up at any time and…well, we all know what happens next!
2. BLONDE IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY! Just because there’s a hot wig in the window at your favority beauty supply that happens to be blonde, doesn’t mean you need to buy it. Blonde hair isn’t for everybody. And just because you plan to pair it with the blue contacts doesn’t mean it’s you, boo.
3. WHO ASKED YOU?! Please stop announcing that you’re wearing a wig. Chances are, we already know. And if we didn’t, we don’t care. If someone says, ‘Your hair looks nice,’ just accept the compliment. You don’t need to tell them how much you paid for it or where you bought it.
4. STOP HATING ON HER! A beautiful woman walks into the room. All the guys swoon admiring her beautiful face, body, AND what you know to be a wig. Why do you feel the need to tell these guys (who didn’t ask you) that this hot chick is wearing a wig? Let her have her shine. What they don’t know ain’t your place to tell them.
5. WIGS HAVE AN EXPIRATION DATE! Wigs are affordable and convenient but they don’t last forever. Plan to exchange a synthetic wig often (every 4-6 weeks) and to wash a human hair wig frequently (weekly or bi-weekly). An unkept wig is definitely a fashion don’t.
6. GET A SECOND OPINION! How many women ask the beauty supply staff, ‘How does this look?’ Do you really think this woman is going to tell you that you look half the fool when she can make $20-$200 bucks from your silly behind? The answer is no. Look in the mirror yourself. If you think it looks funny, it probably does. Oh, and please stop asking other women who happen to be buying wigs if they like the color/style on you. They don’t know you, don’t care how you look or, may not know what’s hot or not themselves. Ask a friend’s or better yet ask your mother’s opinion when you get home. They’ll tell you the truth.
7. CAN HE WAIT IN THE FRONT! I’m talking about your man. How many times have I been removing my wig in the back of a beauty supply store when a man appears. He often looks confused or uncomfortable and he’s accompanied by his oblivious gf or wife. While she’s asking the store clerk for ‘Yvonne in a #4,’ her man is usally watching my every move. LEAVE YOUR MAN IN THE CAR OR IN THE FRONT TO CHAT WITH THE SECURITY GUARD. The rest of us would appreciate it greatly.
8. WIGS ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR REGULAR HAIR CARE! Just because you wear a wig every day, doesn’t mean you don’t wash, comb or style your own hair regularly. Continue to wash, condition and maintain your wigs .
Thanks for stopping by,see you soon!
Contact us :[email protected]